Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Book review - The Last of the Plainsmen.

The Last of the Plainsmen is a 314 page book written by Zane Grey in 1908. The hardback version that I read had been released in 1936. The book follows an adventure that Mr. Grey had with Buffalo Jones in the southwestern part of the United States.

The book follows Jones and his party as they attempt to rope and capture a cougar. Not a particularly great-sounding idea but a feat that Jones had pulled off before. In fact, as detailed by several detours in the story, Jones was quite the roper of wild animals. Two adventures in particular are related; that of roping buffalo calves and Musk Oxen calves. The tale climaxes with the roping and capture of a real live cougar.

I must admit that I had read a couple of Mr. Grey's books previous and had not been terribly impressed. However, I found The Last of the Plainsmen to be engaging and a ripping good yarn. The book is well written and reads quickly, I got through it in a few days. The fact that it's true only made it better for me. Well worth the time for nature lovers, history buffs, and those who simply like a good adventure.

No comments: